A Progressive Theo-Political Blog Bringing You The Best and Worst of Baptist Life.

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Oliver Stone slams Hollywood

At the Venice Film Festival, filmmaker Oliver Stone had harsh words for the US movie industry. Stone is accusing Hollywood of promoting war through movies such as Pearl Harbor and Black Hawk Down.

Stone said...

"Pearl Harbor and Black Hawk Down - these movies worshipped the machinery of war and I think America went back to the concept of war too easily. "I have reasons to be depressed as a Vietnam veteran, and I can say many Vietnam veterans are depressed about why we are in Iraq."

In contrast, he claims World Trade Center delivers a message of hope: "In the past I made very intense films, very powerful films about dark subjects. "I did Vietnam at a time when America was very prosperous and there was no war. "Now is a time to go the other way - that's my nature - and I want to be positive. "Things have gotten very dark and frankly there is more terror, there is more death, there is more war. The consequences of 9/11 are far worse than the day itself. "Somebody asked if it was too soon for this movie - I think in many ways it's too late. We have got to wake up."

The folks at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue & the Pentagon need to Wake Up!

Whaddya say?


2 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I say he's dead right ... it's nice that even though he's now a red-state darling with "WTC," he still likes to mouth off and speak the truth from time to time

3:39 AM

 
Blogger Big Daddy Weave said...

Amen. WTC didn't exactly impress me - but I am a JFK kinda guy. God only knows how many times I've seen that movie.

I see you work for the Telegraph. I grew up in Vidalia and on the Sports Section of the Telegraph...

8:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker